Our pediatric emergency department is the only one in Augusta’s River Region that
is staffed by fellowship-trained, and board certified, pediatric emergency medicine
physicians. That means that our physicians have received an extra 3 years of training in:
- Trauma stabilization and care
- Airway management in infants and children for things like sudden asthma attacks or choking.
- Cardiac issues, we can recognize strange arrhythmia or heart problems after surgery.
- Laceration and wound care
- Sedation, for children who need pain management for an injury.
- Poisoning, we are trained to recognize and manage poisoning in children
- Non-accidental injuries, we are trained to recognize and managing children suffering from non-accidental injury
- Shock, we can stabilize patients in shock from severe infection, dehydration or bleeding
- Fractured bones and dislocation stabilization and care.
- Neurologic emergencies such as intractable seizures, head injuries and mental status changes.
- Disaster management
Direct referrals to Pediatric Sub-specialist
Children’s Hospital of Georgia provides the full services of a children’s hospital
unlike any other hospital in the region. We work closely and collaboratively with
all pediatric sub-specialists in our hospital, this direct access gets your child
in front of a doctor who is trained to provide them with the best care for their presenting
Sub-specialty services include:
- All pediatric Surgical sub-specialists
- Pediatric Gastroenterologists
- Pediatric Cardiologists
- Pediatric Endocrinologists
- Pediatric Pulmonologists
- Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorder Specialists
- Pediatric Allergists
- Pediatric Critical Care Intensivists
- Pediatric Hospitalists
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
- Pediatric Rheumatologists
- Pediatric Nephrologists
Level II Pediatric Trauma Center
We are an American College of Surgeons verified Level II Pediatric Trauma Center, which can only be earned by a facility
that shows it can provide all resources necessary to deliver quality care to trauma
patients. This includes transport and care of patients, their treatment in the hospital’s
emergency room, and rehabilitation aftercare.
Care is provided 24 hours a day/7days a week. The Pediatric Emergency Department has
facilities that include:
- A 16-bed unit
- 2 resuscitation bays
- 2 bed orthopedic and procedure room
- 4 rooms that convert into negative pressure rooms for emerging infectious diseases
- State-of-the-art equipment including advanced airway and ultrasound capabilities
If needed, your child can quickly be moved to our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for further treatment. Our high-level intensive care unit provides additional care
if it is determined that your child is seriously injured, or ill enough, to be admitted
to the hospital.
We provide care for our pediatric patients in a child-centric environment. As leaders
in the Patient-and-Family-Centered Care concept, our compassionate staff will discuss
with you and your family everything that is happening to your child. Our doctors and
nurses go over with you the care your child is receiving, and the options they have
for treatment and rehabilitation. The Emergency Department is also staffed with Child Life Specialists to help your child during their visit.