Breast Cancer Resources
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
The most common symptoms of breast cancer include:
- Non-tender lump in the breast
- Changing in the size or shape of the breast
- Retracted nipple
- Nipple discharge that is clear or bloody
- Skin dimpling or indentation
- Skin has orange-peel texture
If you notice any of the above symptoms, it is important to visit a physician as soon as possible.
Stages of Breast Cancer
The stage of breast cancer depends on tumor size, lymph node status and distant metastases. There are currently five stages of breast cancer, all of which require treatment.
The American Cancer Society and other volunteer organizations as well as Augusta-area vendors offer many valuable resources to women undergoing treatment for cancer. Our nurse navigators and the multidisciplinary breast cancer team can assist patients who want to participate.
- Totes from The Lydia Project: This Augusta-based volunteer organization creates one-of-a-kind bags as a free gift to any woman undergoing treatment for cancer. Volunteers add a prayer card, a pen, a blank journal and personal care items depending on availability. Patients often find a relaxation CD, a copy of 100 Q&A About Breast Cancer and a nail care kit.
- The Lydia House: free lodging Monday through Friday for women with any cancer. MD must refer; patient must provide own transportation and have a caregiver stay with them
- Image Boutique: a one-stop shop for clothing, wigs, and prosthetics for female cancer survivors. Family and friends of cancer patients and survivors can also find gifts and inspirational items.
- Wigs: Women are encouraged to visit Image Boutique early or even before they start treatment to get the look and style that is best suited to them. Patients can get a wig prescription though insurance benefits vary.
- Prosthetic breasts: The Image Boutique carries prosthetic breasts. Patients can get a prescription for a prosthetic breast though insurance benefits vary.