VolunTEEN: High School Volunteer Program
The AU VolunTEEN Program gives local high school students the opportunity to contribute to the community while exploring a career in the medical field. The program provides teenagers with practical experience and practice while developing good work habits. High school sophomores, juniors and seniors ages 15-18 may apply.
VolunTEEN assignments are based on information provided by teens during the interview process and may include areas such as patient care units, outpatient units, the recovery room, office support assignments and more. Teens whose parents work at AU Medical Center will be assigned to separate areas to avoid placing parents in a supervisory role.
AU SUMMER VOLUNTEEN SERVICE PROGRAM
Summer VolunTEEN Application Deadline: March 3, 2017 for Summer Session
Completed Applications will ONLY be accepted in-person between March 1-3, 2017
AU Health Volunteer Services
Laney Walker Blvd, Room 2004
Augusta, GA 30912
Office hours: 8 am to 5 pm week days
DOWNLOAD VOLUNTEEN APPLICATION
The AU Summer VolunTEEN Service Program is a unique opportunity for local high school students to contribute to the community, work in a medical environment, and to gain valuable leadership skills. Summer VolunTEENs are assigned to work in clinical departments within the medical center and are included in weekly leadership learning seminars with key leaders from around Augusta University and our community.
SUMMER VOLUNTEEN REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant must be at least 15 years of age by start of program. Each applicant must provide a copy of their birth certificate and/or a state issued identification card.
- Applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from a non-relative along with their application.
- Each student is required to have a GPA of 3.0 or high. High school transcript is required as proof.
- Interview will be conducted by Volunteer Services after the application deadline. Volunteer Service’s office will contact each applicant to schedule interviews.
- All volunteens are required to successfully complete orientation and all necessary forms. A parent/guardian will need to accompany any high school volunteens under the age of 18 to orientation.
- Summer Volunteens are required to sign up for at least 2 shifts a week for six weeks. Each daily shift will run from 9am until 4pm. Our volunteens are allowed to miss no more than two days of the program and must make up the hours at a later date. Please take this into consideration when planning summer camps and vacations.
The 2016 Summer Volunteen Program runs from June 12, 2017 until July 21, 2017.
Please mark your calendar for these required event dates:
May 16, 2017: Summer Program Orientation
June 12, 2017: Summer Program Kick-Off
June 14, 2017: Summer Program Lunch & Learn: “The Leader in You”
June 21, 2017: Summer Program Lunch & Learn: “Teamwork 101: What Every Great Leader Needs to Know”
June 28, 2017: Summer Program Lunch & Learn: “Conflict 101: A Leader’s Guide to Resolving Problems”
July 12, 2017: Summer Program Lunch & Learn: “Communication and Presentation Secrets for Leaders”
July 19, 2017: Summer Program Lunch & Learn: “Off Road Leadership”
July 21, 2017: Summer Program Finale
Failure to comply with this commitment may result in dismissal from the program.
- Volunteens are encouraged to participate in educational sessions. Each session will be 45 minutes. A certificate of completion will awarded at the end of the program.
- All applicants selected into the program will be required to have a Tuberculosis (TB) test and a copy of their immunization record by Friday, April 21, 2017. TB test will need to be acquired from their pediatrician, family physician or local Health Department.
- Designated volunteer uniforms with our logo are supplied through Volunteer Services. Volunteens are required to purchase uniform shirt(s) for a fee of $10.00 per shirt. Uniform is expected to be kept clean and neat. The official T-shirt is to be worn with khaki slacks or skirts (below the knee), with clean closed-toe athletic shoes and volunteer badge. All shirts must be paid for by Friday, April 21, 2017. Payments will only be accepted the form of cash or money order.
- All applicants selected need to report the badge office by Friday, April 21, 2017 to have their picture taken. Volunteens will receive their badge during orientation. Any Volunteen reporting to duty without their badge will not be permitted to remain on campus.
- Complete VolunTEEN program application
- Attend in-person VolunTEEN interview
- Complete pre-volunteer drug screening
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB) and Flu shot.
- Submission of two references from adults who are familiar with teen’s work ethic and character
- Attend an orientation and obtain training in job-specific areas
- While volunteering, teen must wear the official AU Volunteer Uniform
- Teen must remain on hospital campus during work shifts, unless written permission has been provided by parents/guardians
- Teen must be able to work a minimum of one day per week for a minimum of four hours.
VolunTEEN Application Deadlines:
The AU VolunTEEN Board is made up of teen volunteer leaders who have participated in our annual VolunTEEN program the previous Summer. Teens will gain leadership and organizational skills while learning the value of serving their community.
During their board team, VolunTEENs will complete several community service projects such as:
Salvation Army Bell Ringing
Serving the Homeless at The Master’s Table
Throwing a Birthday Party at The Hope House
Teens who meet these requirements and have interest in joining the VolunTEEN board should contact Vanessa White at: firstname.lastname@example.org .