The Only Level 4 Parkinson’s Disease Center in Georgia or South Carolina
The Medical Center at Augusta University Movement Disorders Clinic, designated by the National Parkinson’s Foundation, Inc. as a Level 4 Center of Excellence, offers the expert care of neurologists, neurosurgeons, and movement disorders specialists. The Parkinson’s disease program at the Movement Disorders Clinic is the only one of its kind in Georgia and South Carolina, and is one of only 28 designated Centers of Excellence in the United States.
Parkinson’s disease and related movement disorders pose many challenges to patients and include extensive and varied symptoms. Basic and everyday movements such as walking, writing or just lifting a glass of water can be difficult, if not impossible. Medical Center at Augusta University’s Movement Disorders Clinic helps patients improve quality of life with the management of these symptoms.
The Medical Center at Augusta University Movement Disorders Clinic offers several advantages to Parkinson’s disease patients at every stage:
- Coordinated care by a team of physician specialists that includes neurologists, neurosurgeons, and neuropsychologists
- Neuropsychological evaluations
- Surgery, including deep brain stimulation (DBS). DBS uses a surgically implanted battery-operated medical device called a neurostimulator to deliver electrical stimulation to targeted areas in the brain that control movement. This blocks the abnormal nerve signals that cause tremors and other symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Interdisciplinary care, collaborating with physical therapists, speech pathologists and occupational therapies
- Movement disorders support groups
- Patient and Family Education
- Access to clinical trials
Meet Our Movement Disorders Specialists
If you have any questions regarding movement disorders, please call us at: (706) 721-2798.
Request an online appointment now or call our Scheduling Center today at 706-721-4581 or toll free at 800-736-CARE (2273).
For prescription refills, please call 706-823-6377.