Heart Attack / Chest Pain Center
If you suspect you are having a heart attack, call 911 immediately.
Please do not drive yourself to the emergency room. EMS will be able to provide you with immediate treatment and provide the hospital with the information so they can prepare for your arrival. A team of highly trained staff will be notified of your impending arrival.
To request a same-day appointment, call 706-664-0584.
Chest pain is often the first sign that you may be experiencing a heart attack. Other symptoms can include:
- Discomfort, squeezing, or pressure in the chest.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Upper body pain, ranging from your neck, teeth, or jaw to your shoulders, back, and arms.
- Stomach pain.
- Shortness of breath or acute fatigue.
- Anxiety, sweating, and lightheadedness.
Region’s First Accredited Chest Pain Center
Getting treated quickly is key to saving heart muscle and helping people survive heart attack. Our Chest Pain Team was the first in the region to be accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care for meeting stringent criteria designed to speed the treatment of patients who are experiencing chest pain in a safe and efficient manner.
We Treat Chest Pain Quickly
Located within our Emergency Department, the area's only Level I Trauma Center and the premiere provider of emergency services in the Augusta, GA, area, our Chest Pain Center:
- Works directly with emergency responders while patients are on the way to the hospital to prep for emergency procedures or surgery
- Offers cardiac catheterization for high-risk patients, restoring blood flow to blocked arteries, with an emphasis on speed and patient safety
- Offers the 64-slice CT scanner, which captures thousands of images of the moving heart in seconds, to allow heart specialists to diagnose and treat patients more quickly
- Uses other advanced diagnostics, including electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, nuclear stress tests and more
- Relies on nationally recognized best practices and clearly defined protocols to accurately diagnose and treat chest pain patients
- Puts a team of specially trained cardiovascular professionals at your bedside 24/7
- Understands women's heart health issues
- Offers easy access to all the resources and physicians at Heart and Cardiovascular Services and other departments within Augusta University Medical Center, the area's only academic medical center