Advanced Inpatient Care at the Children's Hospital of Georgia
If your child needs intensive care, depend on Children's Hospital of Georgia’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), a regional referral center for critically ill children or those suffering from trauma. This 15-bed closed PICU is staffed by a team of dedicated pediatric intensivists who deliver round-the-clock care to about 1,000 critically ill children each year. The PICU offers:
- Board-certified pediatric intensivists who are on site 24/7.
- Care for children recovering from complex surgeries or suffering from shock, severe infections, multiple organ failure, breathing disorders, ongoing seizures, severe diabetes and acidosis, respiratory disorders or other conditions that require intensive care.
- Spacious private rooms equipped with advanced technology.
- 1:1 or 1:2 care by registered nurses specially trained in pediatric intensive care.
- Pioneering Patient-and Family-Centered Care that supports 24/7 visitation, includes parents in patient rounds and has bedside sleeping accommodations.
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) to keep the hearts and lungs of critically ill children working by providing oxygen to the blood while they heal.
- Pediatric Evaluation Teams to quickly respond to parental concerns
- Coordination with Children's Hospital of Georgia Pediatric Emergency Services and Pediatric Air and Ground Transport Team.
- Medical social workers, pediatric dieticians, pediatric rehabilitative and respiratory therapists, pediatric intensive care pharmacists and other caregivers specially trained in pediatric care.
For more information on the PICU, call 706-721-KIDS (5437) or toll free at 888-721-KIDS (5437).